For nearly a year, we’ve been on an air frying kick. In fact, we have TWO air fryers, because we use them THAT much. From breakfast to dinner, there’s always a great time to put the air fryer to user. One of our favorite dishes to make involves air fried tofu!
When we learned about air fried tofu, it was a total game changer in our kitchen. if you don’t already know, tofu is a pretty versatile ingredient. Tofu is soy bean curd that will take on the flavor of anything you cook with it. And air frying has allowed us to use it in a multitude of ways including charred “steaks” and salad croutons!
If you’re new to air frying, you probably want to know what the heck it is! Basically, it’s a cooking technique that uses hot air circulation powered by a fan. It requires little to no oil to fry, roast, bake, etc. It’s all about temperature setting and timing. The cooking time is often quicker than cooking on the stove or oven without waiting for appliances or oil to heat to the right temperature.
Air frying is growing in popularity. You will need a special appliance, an air fryer, to make such magic. More and more air fryers are hitting the market. While the top of the line may cost as much as $400, you can find quality air fryers for around $80-125, depending on sales. Popular brands include Phillips, GoWise, Cook’s Essentials (QVC) and Della. If you’re looking to get an air fryer, definitely shop around!
So, back to the air fried tofu! We are obsessed. We adjust temperature and timing based on how we’ll use the tofu in a dish. A lot of it also has to do with what we use for seasoning and a sauce. What we’ll share is our basic air fried tofu recipe, long with a few photos of how we’ve prepared it.
- 1 15oz block of extra firm tofu, drained, pressed, pat dried
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper (optional)
- Cut your drained and pressed tofu into 1-inch cubes
- in a medium bowl, whisk together the black pepper, garlic powder, sea salt and crushed red pepper
- Add tofu to the bowl and give everything a toss to allow spices to disburse evenly over the tofu
- Pour tofu into the fry basket of your air fryer, and place back into the fryer
- Set the air fryer's temperature to 400 degrees and timer to 25 minutes
- After 10 minutes, remove the fry basket and give it a shake to help ensure an even cook. Place basket back into the fryer
- After another 10 minutes, check your tofu to see if it's crispy. If not, let it cook for another 2-5 minutes
- Remove tofu from the air fryer and it's ready to eat!
- Air fryers are different. So you may need to adjust yours timing by a couple of minutes.
- If you would like to use oil, use no more than 1-2 teaspoons or use cooking spray
- If you want to make croutons, a long fry time is the way to go. The tofu will get puffy, light yet crunchy
- If you want to use a sauce, coating your tofu in a sauce before air frying will impact your temperature and time. You can also use the sauce to coat the tofu after air frying!
Do you air fry? If so, what do you like to make in your air fryer? Share with us in the comments!