Mozzer just turned 6 years old a couple of weeks ago. Over these past 6 years, there is one thing that is certain: He LURVES to steal food & drink, like this Matcha Tropical Smoothie. I have to remember to NOT put my glass down in his presence! Read more
Hey friends! We hope you’ve been enjoying this holiday season, no matter what you celebrate!
As a kid, I grew up absolutely hating the idea of egg nog during the holidays. Eggs in a drink? NOPE! While I hated it, I couldn’t drink it anyway, because my mom would make it with brandy or rum for our family holiday gathering. Nevertheless, the idea of egg nog was gross to me.
Even as an adult, I couldn’t fathom the thought of it. I remembered how my mom made it with milk, sugar and eggs warmed up to make it “safe” and then added the booze. NOPE, not for me. Yes, the alcohol was tempting, but NOT that tempting. My aunt even tried to serve me an “egg-free” version which was just spiked milk, sugar, vanilla with spices. It was “okay.”
Isn’t it odd that I would love nog as a vegan? Well, I’m an odd person. Without the eggs and dairy, vegan nogs made me feel “safe.” Nog is now something I could enjoy during the holidays and enjoy however I wish.
With veganism on the rise, the number of vegan holiday nogs are the market have grown: Soy, coconut, almond, etc. You can also make your own, which I haven’t attempted to do…yet…there’s always next year right?
While I try to work out making my own nog, I played around with the idea of a yummy take on it, using store-bought nog and a bit of inspiration of having all the ingredients to make S’mores at home.
May I present to you the S’mores Holiday Nog “Frostie.” It’s a semi-frozen treat to drink with a straw or eat with a spoon! Give it a try and let us know what you think!
- 1 c. vegan nog*
- 2 graham cracker squares**
- 1/4 c. vegan chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp. vegan marshmallow fluff or mini marshmallows
- 1/4 c. spiced rum (optional)***
- 1-1/2 to 2 c. crushed ice
- 1 graham cracker square
- 6 mini marshmallows
- 10 vegan chocolate chips
- Graham cracker crumbs
- Fresh grated nutmeg
- Fresh grated cinnamon
- Chocolate sauce
- Soy/rice whipped creme
- To make the "Frostie:"
- In a blender, add all "Frostie" ingredients. Set on high and blend until smooth (about 30-45 seconds)
- Pour mixture into mason jar (or 2 if you want to share)
- Break the squares in half. Each square will become a mini S'more
- On two of the halves, lay down 5 chocolate chips. Set in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. Remove from the microwave
- On a skewer, thread your mini marshmallows, and set aflame until they become somewhat browned and gooey
- Set 3 marshmallows on each of the chocolate chip-covered halves. Place the remaining halves on top of each set of marshmallows
- Press down slightly before placing the S'mores on top of the drinks
- Feel free to add any of the other garnishes as you like
- *For this recipe, we used Califia's Holiday Nog, made with almond milk. Want to make this nut-free? Try Silk's Soy Nog or So Delicious' Coconut Milk Nogs
- **For this recipe, we used Nabisco Grahams (dark pink box). You can also use Sweet 'n Sara's grahams. Want to try this gluten-free, Mary's Gone Crackers may be a good option for you!
- ***Not into rum? Give this a try with bourbon. Not into alcohol? Replace the booze with an additional 1/4 c. of nog!