Have you heard about Trader Giotto’s Organic Riced Cauliflower? NO?!?!?! This has to be one of the best, if not THE BEST, products to come from Trader Joe’s to date. It’s so hot right now that some locations are having trouble keeping it in stock. In fact, we learned that one store has a “wait list” and another had to set a limit on the number of units purchased.
Why is this product so popular? Well…a couple of reasons:
- It’s $1.99 per 12oz bag
- It’s organic…and $1.99 per bag (had to repeat that)
- It comes from Italy, hence it’s called Trader Giotto’s, not Trader Joe’s
- It’s a rice made from cauliflower, making it a grain-free alternative
- Cauliflower is the “IT” vegetable right now (Google “cauliflower!”)
Now, this isn’t a new product. We first saw the riced cauliflower hit stores last summer, but the buzz now that they’re back in stores is amazing.
What’s great about the organic riced cauliflower is that it has the texture and flavor plain cooked rice. Therefore, you can add whatever you want to it. Another plus is that the cauliflower isn’t waterlogged. Ricing, then freezing, seems to help keep the cauliflower from getting mushy while it cooks. It stays fluffy when cooking straight from frozen. It can made into a nice risotto with the right ingredients.
So, how have we prepared the riced cauliflower? We’ve used it in rice bowls, but we’ve just found a brand new way to use it…TACO (or burrito) FILLING! YES!
Here’s our recipe for Buffalo Cauliflower & Chickpea Tacos. We’re even including Carlo’s latest Buffalo sauce recipe that he created just for this dish! Give it all a whirl and let us know what ways you’d work cauliflower rice into a meal!
- 1 c. Frank's Red Hot (or your favorite hot sauce)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 T. apple cider vinegar
- 1 T. tomato paste
- 1 t. agave nectar
- 1 t. cumin
- 1 t. onion powder
- 1 t. paprika
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 12oz pkg Trader Giotto's Organic Riced Cauliflower (or 2 c. of homemade riced cauliflower)
- 1 c. Buffalo sauce (see recipe)
- 1 15oz. can chickpeas
- Juice of 1 lime
- Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 8-10 small to medium corn tortillas
- 1/2 avocado mashed
- 1/2 c. salsa
- Chopped celery and shredded carrots for garnish
- Your favorite vegan bleu cheese or ranch dressing, optional
- Make the Buffalo sauce by combining all ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 7-10 minutes, until thickened
- While sauce is cooking, add onions to a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until softened and slightly browned
- Add riced cauliflower and stir with onions. Cook for 2-3 minutes before pouring in the Buffalo sauce
- Stir in chickpeas and lime juice and cook for additional 3-5 minutes
- Fill tortillas evenly with cauliflower rice mixture, add favorite toppings and serve
- Can't find cauliflower rice? Minimalist Baker has a great step-by-step recipe to make your own cauliflower rice. Check it out: http://minimalistbaker.com/how-to-make-cauliflower-rice/
- You can also make this filling for burritos. Oh so good!
- BTW, "Mild" is subjective. Carlo can eat ghost peppers.