Cheddar Biscuits… Cheddar Bay Biscuits… Cheddar Drop Biscuits!
Back in the day, my mom and her friends would often grab lunch at Red Lobster. It was their thins to get together and gossip. I honestly don’t know if they dug their meals so much, but they did enjoy cramming those Cheddar Bay Biscuits in their mouths (and purses). I got to reap some of the benefits, because those biscuits were IT! So, of course, now vegan, I had to recreate the biscuits with an animal-free spin, but there was one tiny problem…
My dear partner in life does not like ANYTHING that reminds him of fish or seafood. Why? Well, he has a fish and seafood allergy. Vegan substitutes, with the rare exception of Hearts of Palm cakes, don’t cut muster with him.
How was I going to recreate the biscuits and have him enjoy it? Old Bay seasoning could not be included. I said “I’m going to put Old Bay in this,” and he just cringed. Of course, I laughed.
I tried to recall how the pre-vegan biscuits tasted . What I figured would be best was to up the cheesy flavor and use the spices to complement. In went, the black pepper, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, thyme and dried parsley. The cheesiness came from nutritional yeast and vegan cheddar shreds. Mixing it all together, I came up with Carlo-approved cheddar drop biscuits!
These biscuits are drop biscuits. That means there is no real formation. There’s no need to cut into rounds, because the dough is sticky and not kneaded. Just scoop, drop on a sheet and bake!
Here’s the recipe for our Cheddar Drop Biscuits, try it out and let us know if it cuts muster for you!
- 2 c. flour
- 1/4 c. nutritional yeast
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1/4 t. sea salt
- 1/4 t. ground black pepper
- 1/4 t. garlic powder
- 1/4 t. onion powder
- 1/4 t. paprika
- 1/4 t. dried parsley
- 1/4 t. thyme
- 1/8 t. cayenne
- 1 stick butter, cold and cubed
- 1 c. non dairy milk
- 1/2 c shredded vegan cheddar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, nutritional yeast, baking powder, sea salt and spices
- Using a pastry blender or a fork, cut the butter into the flour mix until it becomes a bit like crumbles
- Stir in the milk and shredded cheese until a sticky, somewhat firm, dough forms
- Scoop dough into 8 mounds, placing each on the baking sheet
- Place sheet in oven and bake for 20-25-minutes, or until golden
- When done, remove sheet from oven, place on wire rack and rest for 5 minutes
- Serve warm or at room temperature
Need a song while baking? Add this to your playlist!