There’s an old vegan saying that goes: ‘He that is without sin among you, let him or her toss the first scone!’ Okay, we made that up, but you get the point. No vegan in history was born with the innate ability to pronounce all foods (vegan or otherwise) correctly, so we must reserve judgement. Heck, I used to pronounce quinoa as kwin-no-a, to surprised looks and side glances. The vegan universe is rife with foods that have tricky pronunciations and or unusual spellings. But don’t let that get you down, because the tricky words will come as second nature as your vegan journey unfolds. It’s also perfectly okay to ask what something is or how to pronounce something if you’re unsure.
And as previously mentioned we shouldn’t judge. But with that said, we could simply repeat some of the more amusing and or odd pronunciations that we’ve overheard or have been told about. As per always, our list is in no particular order.
The Top 10 Most Mispronounced Vegan Utterances We’ve Heard So Far!
1. CHORE-ZO (née chorizo). This one is compliments of Nicole Sopko (owner of Upton’s Naturals), who heard a lovely person pronounce her company’s amazing chorizo seitan as chore-zo. Yikes.
2. SHE-TAKES (née shitakes). Mac and I overheard a nascent teenage utter this gem while dining at Blossom on Carmine . It was a drink-through-the-nose moment.
3. SATAN (née seitan). We’ve heard the infernal mispronunciation numerous times in numerous places.
4. AH-KIGH (née Acai). This one IS tricky, so everyone in the world gets a mulligan.
5. PA-Ho (née pho). A wonderful soup, ruined with a single misspoken utterance! Just remember, that the proper way to pronounce this word is the beginning of one that’s considered vulgar!
6. CRUDE-IT (née crudite). Upon hearing it pronounced as CRUDE-IT, makes one want to pass and grab a bowl of chips.
7. JICK-A-MAH (née jicama). Would you eat something called JICK-A-MAH? Of course you would because it’s yummy!
8. DIE-YA (née Daiya). I was also a serial mispronouncer when it came to Daiya.
9.TER-FURKY (née Tofurky). It’s TOFURKY, dammit!
10. VAY-GUN (née vegan). My lovely, well-intentioned pop still pronounces it VAY-GUN, despite the fact that Mac and I have been VAY-GUN for over 5 years! Incidentally, VAYGUN rhymes with Raygun which is something I want to put to my temple when people say VAYGUN!
We hope you enjoyed our humble little list. If you have overheard a funny or odd pronunciation, and or if you have mispronounced a vegan word, please tell us about it.