Ever try a recipe you found online and have it go wrong? We’ve all been there, right? One of the greatest feats in the kitchen is trying to salvage any part of that dish into something everyone will enjoy.
Certainly, my most recent “fail” in the “Don’t Try This at Home” recipe category was with S’mores Pinwheels. I was attempting to veganize the version I had seen online, but it just didn’t work for me. The proportions seemed rather “off,” with WAY too much cereal and not enough chocolate.
I couldn’t just toss it. As much I was would have loved to eat an entire jelly roll of this rice cereal, chocolate and marshmallow, that wasn’t going to happen either, even sharing with Carlo. Since it was Christmas Eve, I decided to switch things up and play around with the idea of a pulled “bread,” but made with the rice cereal instead.
And that’s how the S’mores Jingle Balls were born!
- 10oz. bag of mini marshmallows*
- 1/4 c. vegan butter
- 1/4 tsp. pinch of sea salt
- 4 c. rice cereal**
- 1 c. graham cracker crumbs***
- 1/2 c. chocolate chips
- 1/4 c. chocolate chips
- 1 T. vegan butter
- Zest of 1/2 orange
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, add marshmallows, vegan butter and sea salt. Heat for 90 seconds to 2 minutes until the butter has melted
- In a large bowl, add cereal, graham cracker crumbs and fold in marshmallow mixture until well combined, using a greased spatula. Fold in the chocolate chips until all is well combined
- Using a greased 2T ice cream scoop, form the mixture into balls.
- Add the balls to a non-stick start pan or a 8x8 or 9x9 baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Set them close together, touching.
- Make the chocolate drizzle: Add chocolate and butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Melt for 60-90 seconds. Mix well, adding the orange zest. Using a fork, drizzle the chocolate over the balls
- Chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes
- *For this recipe, we used Dandies marshmallows
- **For this recipe, you can use Kellogg's Rice Krispies or Nature's Path Organic Crispy Rice cereal
- ***For this recipe, you can use Nabisco Grahams (pink box, honey-free), Mary's Gone Crackers or Sweet 'n Sara