Pizza Pillows? YES! They’re bigger than pockets and smaller than calzones. It’s our take on a Beggar’s Purse handheld meal featuring Gardein’s The Ultimate Beefless Ground!
Remember, you can click here to download a $1.00 coupon for delicious Gardein products! Get yours today so you can try this recipe yourself!
This 3/4 Italian household has 1/2 rooted in pizza. While we haven’t shared many of our favorite pizza recipes, we’re always trying to come up with fun ways to serve up one of our favorite dishes. This time, I wanted to try a pizza pocket, but a bit more substantial. The end result was a fluffy purse of pizza crust, sauce, grounds, homemade ricotta and mozzarella cheese…ALL VEGAN…of course!
We went with Gardein’s The Ultimate Beefless Ground, because we felt it would be a nice flavor, like Italian sausage grounds, like you would top on pizza. What’s great about these grounds is that you can season them however you like. We’ve cooked them Buffalo-style, with some Asian flare and as a Bolognese sauce. They’re great at any time of day, except dessert (maybe?).
Another plus of The Ultimate Beefless Ground is that you can reseal the package, only using what you need for a recipe, just like this one. We only needed 1/2 cup of the ground for the recipe, which we cooked with onions and garlic! The rest we plan to use for lasagna or ziti with our leftover homemade tofu ricotta.
These Pizza Pillows are fun to make, as they’re like a stuffed bread with different components. Here’s our recipe. Give them a try and let us know what you think!
- 1/2 c. The Ultimate Beefless Ground
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 c. raw cashew pieces
- 1 c. hot water
- 1 brick of extra firm tofu
- 1/4 c. nutritional yeast
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 16 oz. pizza dough
- The prepared Ground
- 1/2 c. your favorite marinara sauce
- 1/2 c. homemade tofu ricotta
- 1/2 c. vegan mozzarella shreds
- Olive oil for brushing
- Sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 °F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Heat olive oil in a skillet
- Add garlic and onion until slightly translucent
- Add Ground and cook until browned (about 5 minutes)
- Add cashews and hot water to high-speed blender. Mix on high until smooth
- Add tofu, nutritional yeast and lemon juice. Blend on low speed until just combined. Tamper the mixture to break down bigger chunks of tofu. Consistency should be slightly smooth with little chunks of tofu
- Turn off blender, stir in spices and spoon out 1/2 c. for the pizza pillow recipe
- Reserve the rest to eat on its own or for your favorite pasta dish
- Divide the pizza dough into 4 equal balls
- On a floured surface, roll out dough balls into 6-in rounds
- In the center of each ball, spoon 2 Tbsp of marinara within 1/2-in of the edge
- Spoon in order: 2 Tbsp ricotta, 2 Tbsp. The Ultimate Beefless Ground and 2 Tbsp. mozzarella
- Pinch together the ends from 4 points to the center to form the pillow
- Give the pillow a twist at the top to close and place on the baking sheet
- Brush the top of the pillows with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with sea salt
- Place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown
- Serve warm (but could be eaten cold, if you're a cold pizza person)
- If you have a nut allergy, you can omit the cashew and reduce the hot water amount to 1/2 c.
- Use your reserve ricotta to make a vegan lasagna or ziti. It would also be great on a large pizza or calzone!
Download your $1.00 off Gardein coupon today! Offer expires 10/3/15.