Taco Tuesday? NAAAAAH! Tacos are really for EVERYDAY, but to get your week off right, you gotta taco on a Monday! For the next 5 Mondays, we’re going to post a #TacoMonday recipe. It’s our way to celebrate what’s become our favorite, most versatile of comfort foods.
We’ve got to give a nod to our Taco Scientist pals of The Taco Cleanse fame for the inspiration. We’re planning on sharing recipes that fun, outrageous and YUM! I mean, how can a word that’s an anagram for COAT be so delicious? EASY PEASY, LEMON SQUEAZY! Honestly, you can’t really screw them up.
With that said, we’re going to share the most boring of our #TacoMonday recipes, Smokey Beany Brussel Sprout Tacos. It’s also one of the tastiest. You have a meal in takes less than 10 minutes!
Thanks to Trader Joe’s, we start with some FAT-FREE (Say what???) Refried Beans (Less than $1) that have the “V” symbol for VEGAN on the can. We then amp things up with a little liquid smoke and chili powder. Pile on the veggies. Break out the lime juice hot sauce. Fold up the tacos and EAT! Don’t you wish all recipes were that simple?
Well, give this one a try. Let us know what you think. Tell us in the comments how you taco on a Monday or tweet at us (@thefoodduo) with hashtag #TacoMonday!
- 6-8 corn tortillas
- 16oz. can refried beans
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2-3 splashes liquid smoke
- 1 c. shaved Brussels sprouts
- 1/4 c. shredded carrots
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 avocado, cubed or sliced
- 1/2 c. salsa
- 1 lime
- Your favorite hot sauce, optional
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat the refried beans, stirring in chili powder and liquid smoke
- In a cast iron pan over medium heat, warm corn tortillas for 1-2 minutes on each side until soft and slightly pliable
- Evenly distribute cooked beans onto each tortilla.
- Layer each with Brussels sprouts, carrots, diced tomatoes and avocado
- Squeeze lime juice and add hot sauce over your tacos
- Fold in half and eat