April 22, 2015 is Earth Day. And although we’re all for celebrating this global holiday, it should pointed out that veganism is a topic that’s often neglected or ignored when the discussion of climate change or other impending global catastrophes are broached. And, unfortunately, veganism is still a foreign concept to many including those who call themselves environmentalists. It’s infuriating to watch protestors eat meat after a climate change rally!
Because the litany of reasons why people choose to ignore the impact that meat consumption places on our planet are lengthy to cram into our little post, I’ll just say do the research. Our humble Top 10 list consists of things that you, us and your Uncle Henry can and should do all year round!
The Top 10 Things You Can do to Celebrate Earth Day.
1. Leaflet. If you have the time, get your butt outside and leaflet for a few hours. If you don’t have the time, leave some pamphlets near various high-traffic locations. There are many great organizations such as Mercy For Animals who will send you tons of stuff.
2. Screen a Film. Movies like Cowspiracy are ideal for spreading the word about how to fight climate change. If matters not if you screen the film for 10 or a 1000 people…although 1000 would be nice.
3. Go to a Green Festival. There are plenty of green festivals around this time of year. The Green Festival Expo will be visiting 5 cities this year including NYC!
4. Plant Trees, Flowers and Plants. Seeds are VERY inexpensive. There’s NO excuse!
5. Recycle/Donate Stuff. Now that spring is here, you have a great chance to donate or recycle stuff that you no longer want or need. You can hold a garage sale and donate the money to a favorite charity.
6. Volunteer to Clean Your Neighborhood. Grab some friends and trash bags and clean up your neighborhood!
7. Cook a Vegan Feast. Celebrate Earth Day by throwing down a big ole vegan cookout. And by all means invite some omnivores!
8. Walk, Hike and or Ride a Bike. Although we should all exercise year-round, Earth Day is a great day to leave your motorized vehicle home to see and appreciate the great outdoors.
9. Green Your Home. Switch to solar power, insulate your abode and clean up using homemade or eco-friendly commercial cleaning products.
10. Hold A Fair. A fair is a great way to grab your town’s attention as to the importance of keeping our planet green and clean.
So, there you have it, 10 things you can do to celebrate Earth Day. Whatever you decide to do to celebrate, we would love to hear and see what you did (send us pictures)!